Sport Nationals

Sailing chat

Sport Nationals

Postby Dreadnought » August 29th, 2019, 4:04 pm

You can enter the Sport Nationals here: https://www.sprint15.com/sports-nationals-entries.php

More details here: https://www.sprint15.com/events/EMS/event.php?id=188

Saturday 21st - Monday 23rd September

If you can't make the Monday there are two discards so you can do enough races to count at the weekend.

Anybody from Shanklin unable to attend should send the usual three doctors' letters plus signed permission from four grandparents.

Not expecting there to be any top sailors on unadjusted lightweight boats apart from Sean who will have extra crew. Should be a fair regatta.
Who's the more foolish; the fool or the fool who follows him?
Dreadnought
Site Admin

Re: Sport Nationals

Postby Dreadnought » September 12th, 2019, 10:10 am

Yvonne has booked a table at the Culver Haven Inn for the Saturday evening (21st September). Can you let her know if you would like to come along newsletter@sprint15.com.

Please get your entries in here: https://www.sprint15.com/sports-nationals-entries.php
Dreadnought
Site Admin

Postby ChrisR » September 12th, 2019, 11:34 pm

Got a feeling that Yaverland may be putting on a BBQ for that night.
ChrisR

AHOY - SSC Shipmates

Postby SueDyer » September 13th, 2019, 10:58 am

Now listen here, you’ve all had a summer to practice your sailing tactics in Sandown Bay so get your sea legs on and submit your Entry Form to the Sprint 15 Sports Nationals in by next Wed 18th September -the event is on your ‘doorstep’ so don’t delay. :D

There will be 2/3 days of fantastic sailing in Sandown Bay, as well as social events, BBQ and Dinner all in great company with other Sprint 15 sailors making the trip from the north island.

Please enter in Erling’s memory as this was his ‘special’ event & he would be so proud to have a large turnout from Shanklin (if only for a couple of the races.) :)

If you are unable to sail, then just come along and join in the social activities or watch from shoreside and encourage your clubmates.

All are very welcome at Yaverland Sailing & Boat Club and SSC members may park in their yard for free.

• Details and Entry Forms will be on the SS Club notice board or you may enter online: https://www.sprint15.com/sports-nationals-entries.php

• Contact Liam: 01983 721264 or 07780667831-if you need more info or I have left something out.

• Discounted entry fee by 18th Sept.

• Full Details of Social Events, BBQ at YS&BC and Dinner at Flanagans -will follow.
SueDyer

Re: AHOY - SSC Shipmates

Postby ChrisR » September 13th, 2019, 11:39 am

It's quite sad, Shanklin has the largest fleet of Sprint15s in the world, but up to now a very small entry for the Sport Nationals.
Let's see a few more entries.
If you are worried about sailing with a Jib keep it furled.
If you are also worried about missing a days work (Monday) only 5 races to count, so you won't have to miss a days work :D
ChrisR

Postby Dreadnought » September 13th, 2019, 11:46 am

Quite.

There is no excuse for not entering. You have known about this event for 12 months.

If you fear the 2 metres of sail at the front don't put it up.

The standard is no higher than at Shanklin. Our club has won the event every year since 2013.

Don't worry about the lightweight boats. It will be sorted.

Six entries is an insult to the club, to the class and to Yaverland Sailing and Boat Club.
Dreadnought
Site Admin

Postby Dreadnought » September 13th, 2019, 2:11 pm

Booking at the pub changed to the Friday at 7.

Barbecue at YSBC on the Saturday.
Dreadnought
Site Admin

Postby ian bolton » September 13th, 2019, 2:41 pm

Ian Bolton is booked in for racing.
Would be great to have some company at the front of the fleet :lol:
ian bolton

Postby Eddie » September 13th, 2019, 8:11 pm

Ahoy there...
That fella Matt something-or-rather, the one I De-Turtled the other month from the comfort of the 'Banana-Boat', conveyed to me a couple of weeks ago that he rarely, if ever, checked out this site. You might find that he, and a fare few other members, have no idea this event is goin' down. You might find they rock up on Sunday morning... clueless, expecting no more than the usual.
That Sean from West-Wight with the dark blue Jeep is very keen to race. If he's not already signed up, I'd be surprised.
If I were in your size nines, I'd e-mail/text everyone, just to ensure that the message has got through.
Eddie

Postby ChrisR » September 15th, 2019, 1:26 pm

ChrisR wrote:It's quite sad, Shanklin has the largest fleet of Sprint15s in the world, but up to now a very small entry for the Sport Nationals.
Let's see a few more entries.
If you are worried about sailing with a Jib keep it furled.
If you are also worried about missing a days work (Monday) only 5 races to count, so you won't have to miss a days work :D

Probably my fault but I didn't realise until the other day that Shanklin are actually co-hosting the the Sport Nationals with Yaverland.

I believe we have chivied up a couple more entries. GREAT still need more entries.

If you can't race then The Club needs help.
First and foremost the Club needs boats on the water.
If you think of anyone who wants to race give them a shout.

Friday at Yaverland I will be around from about 1400hrs if anyone wants a lift backward and forward to Shanklin.
Saturday I will be at Yaverland from around 0800 if you want to drop cars at Yaverland get changed then I can run you to Shanklin to get your boats.
The reverse on Monday.
Don't forget to put your trolleys on your boat.
Safety boat I should think needs to be at Yaverland for around 0900hrs Saturday.
ChrisR

Postby Dreadnought » September 16th, 2019, 6:53 am

We are now allowing £30 entry for people wishing to sail only one day.

Enter in the normal way but leave a message in the bottom form saying you want to race on one day. Then pay £30.
Dreadnought
Site Admin

Postby Mary Mary » September 17th, 2019, 12:28 pm

I've just been looking through the photos Alan & myself took at the Sprint 15 Sport Nationals Championships at Yaverland for May 19th - 21st 2017
(these can be viewed on the UK Dart 15/ Sprint 15 Association website/ photos archive)
Showing fantastic sailing, and to be repeated next weekend, see you there.
Mary Mary

Postby Dreadnought » September 17th, 2019, 4:46 pm

Dreadnought
Site Admin

Thrills & Spills at the Sports Nationals.

Postby SueDyer » September 22nd, 2019, 8:14 am

Well SSC shipmates, you missed some exciting sailing yesterday :o , so get down to Yaverland today to watch Team Shanklin jostle for points- racing starts about 10.30am with 3 back to back races and again tomorrow (Mon) morning with 2 final races to settle the honours.

Thanks must go to Crann & his team at YaverlandS&BC who, not only braved the huge surf yesterday to support the 30 sailors on water & beach but hosted a fab BBQ last evening, enjoyed by all .
SueDyer

THE SPORT NATIONALS

Postby ChrisR » September 23rd, 2019, 4:40 pm

Well done everyone who sailed the Nationals, Shanklin prize winners include Paul, Liam, Tina, Stuart (8th place, no doubt everyone will hear all about it :lol: ) Chris and Mark.
A great big thanks to all the guys that manned the safety boat, both Yaverland and Shanklin, especially Ian and Tony who gave up sailing to do safety.
Not forgetting Les, Tod and Mark, who broke his boat on the way to the event then jumped in to help out with safety for the first 2 races.
Also thanks to Mary and Alan for taking loads of photos. Kim, Mary and Sue for help around the Club when it was needed. Yvonne for the organising and sorting the dinner's. Liam for pumping in the results.
A massive thanks to the race officers, I think they got all races away cleanly over the weekend.
Thanks to anyone who helped me ashore especially Keith and one of the guys from Yaverland (his name eludes me) who was running up and down the beach all weekend helping.
Not forgetting Cran, Steve and all the guys and girls at Yaverland, well done.
We must not forget to say thanks to Paul for bringing the boat around to be used as the committee boat.

Lastly a big thanks to Red Funnel, who came up trumps with a deal for travel to the Island.
ChrisR

Postby ChrisR » September 23rd, 2019, 4:54 pm

Well done everyone who sailed the Nationals, Shanklin prize winners include Paul, Liam, Tina, Stuart (8th place, no doubt everyone will hear all about it :lol: ) Chris and Mark.
A great big thanks to all the guys that manned the safety boat, both Yaverland and Shanklin, especially Ian and Tony who gave up sailing to do safety.
Not forgetting Les, Tod and Mark, who broke his boat on the way to the event then jumped in to help out with safety for the first 2 races.
Also thanks to Mary and Alan for taking loads of photos. Kim, Mary and Sue for help around the Club when it was needed. Yvonne for the organising and sorting the dinner's. Liam for pumping in the results.
A massive thanks to the race officers, I think they got all races away cleanly over the weekend.
Thanks to anyone who helped me ashore especially Keith and one of the guys from Yaverland (his name eludes me) who was running up and down the beach all weekend helping.
Not forgetting Cran, Steve and all the guys and girls at Yaverland, well done.
We must not forget to say thanks to Paul for bringing the boat around to be used as the committee boat.

Lastly a big thanks to Red Funnel, who came up trumps with a deal for travel to the Island.
ChrisR

Re: THE SPORT NATIONALS

Postby Dreadnought » September 23rd, 2019, 5:53 pm

Indeed. You did quite a good job yourself.

And Paul did an amazing job getting his yacht from Southampton to Yaverland in big waves and wind, single handed. He then took it back to Portsmouth before delivering it back to Yaverland on Sunday morning.

However he now has 4 capsizes which may put him in the lead on the board. Two in a kayak, two in a borrowed Sprint 15. Mary has evidence.
Dreadnought
Site Admin

Postby Dreadnought » September 24th, 2019, 5:26 pm

Report on Yachts and Yachting here: https://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/ ... -Yaverland
Dreadnought
Site Admin

Postby Dreadnought » September 25th, 2019, 9:00 am

Mary has sent me hundreds of pictures of the Sport Nationals pictures which she and Alan took over the three days.

They really are fantastic. If you looked earlier then please take another look as I have added more today.

https://www.sprint15.com/picture-galler ... erland.php
Dreadnought
Site Admin

Postby Dreadnought » September 30th, 2019, 4:48 pm

Somebody left a grey tramp cover at Yaverland.
Dreadnought
Site Admin

Return to Chat