Evenrude Outboard

Sailing chat

Evenrude Outboard

Postby ChrisR » September 1st, 2019, 1:03 pm

To be added to the Evenrude's service list for the winter.

1) The tick over switch switch needs cleaning or replacing.
2) The tiller arm connecting bush is badly worn and needs replacing.
3) The mechanism for stiffening up the rotation of the engine is knackered.
4) The tilt needs checking.

Job for the winter service.
ChrisR

Re: Evenrude Outboard

Postby Eddie » September 1st, 2019, 5:44 pm

I gave the ratchet mechanism on the 'Tilt' a squirt with WD40 (Liquid Spanner), and put it through the motions a couple of times. It now seems fine, and latches off when raising the engine at the half raised trim position for running in shallow water, and of coarse, latches off at the fully raised position for recovery. So you can draw a line under that one.
The 'Friction Detent' lever beneath the tiller looks to have a rusty washer that may be supposed to pinch the slide-guide to make the engine harder to turn (CRUCIAL WHEN GIVING IT THE BEANS !!!) It may be that the washer has rusted to the spindle it sits around. If no-one gets to it first, I'll try freeing it up when I'm next down. Probably need the washer removed and the spindle exposed for a clean up, and might replace the rusty ferrous one for a S/S version, unless the spindle is ferrous. Don't want metallurgy to rot the spindle. Lots of grease usually cuts the mustard.
I'll check the 'Idle Adjustment Switch' at the same time, although the problem seems to be WITHIN the rocker switch, it looks fixable. (They're probably more expensive than you'd imagine) Just remember to return it to the central position if you reduce the idle speed for any reason. It still does it's job.
Let's look after the 'Banana', unless whoever's on duty likes rowing. If anyone spots an issue, tell someone before it gets worse. Like the little boy with his finger in the dyke. OOOh Maaatron. ;)
Blimey! Don't I waffle on...and on...and on...
Eddie

Re: Evenrude Outboard

Postby ChrisR » September 1st, 2019, 5:50 pm

Still it all needs to be checked when serviced this winter.
ChrisR

Return to Chat